Hark! An update!
The big star of today's update is diagetic/environmental audio. At the moment, these present as buzzing sounds for individual bees and outdoor birds/crickets/etc. that become louder as you zoom out away from the hive. There's a missing middle layer in between that I want to add where individual bees are less prominent and the buzzing of the hive as a whole becomes the focus, but that's something I'll experiment with in future builds.
I've bumped into some bottlenecks where if the game has too many 3D sound emitter nodes moving around at once, Godot's audio server will start stuttering and not recover until the game's restarted. For this reason, I've set a cap on how many individual bee sounds can be active at a time (currently capped at 50), and rather than destroying/creating them whenever a bee is spawned, they now come from/return to a pool of available emitters. I have no idea how much this will affect performance on low end systems, but setting bee volume to zero will disable all bee sound emitters - let me know if you feel you need to do that!
There are also a bunch of other miscellaneous fixes hiding in today's update as well.
- Added initial placeholder bee sounds
- Added initial placeholder environment sounds
- Added audio busses for bee sounds and environment sounds
- Added volume settings for bee sounds and environment sounds
- Added pooling for bee and environment sounds
- Added mention of population limits to nursery building info
- Added notes on where resources come from in HUD tooltips
- Fixed upgraded pollen cells popping infinitely on mouseover
- Fixed new research items staying dimmed if moused over while flashing
- Fixed bees sometimes not turning correctly on load
- Fixed particle count warnings proper for good this time (fingers crossed)
- Fixed possible crash when processing an effect that uses role_death_multiplier
- Fixed flicker on build preview
- Fixed camera responding to pan/zoom events when in an event/tutorial/vignette
- Fixed research description still showing cost after being selected
- Updated debug music shortcut (M) to only queue up a new music track if one isn't already playing
- Updated activity indicators to always close on right click, and zoom when a target is available on left click
Get Hive Time
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.