A small bundle of fixes today, mostly focusing around updates and tweaks to events and tutorials.
A final tutorial has been added to clarify that after the tutorial requirements have been completed, training wheels are off and players are free to do whatever they'd like to do. The research tree and tutorial system were initially added as a way to gradually onboard new players across their first Queen's lifespan, and its presence combined with the continue-playing condition of spawning new Queens seems to have steered some people away from the kind of open, endless play that the game is intended for.
Having a final tutorial invite players to consider their first new Queen as the start of the game rather than the end doesn't prevent anybody from stopping once they've spawned a second Queen if they've gotten their fill, but I'm hoping that it'll lead to assumptions that better match what the game is trying to be.
There are also a number of balancing tweaks that affect the duration of various event effects to make their impact a little more meaningful. For example, the 60 second window on Slime Blessings didn't seem to be providing a big enough window for players to take advantage of it without having a pre-existing planned response.
There are also a few miscellaneous fixes, including one where spamming Escape would prevent the menu system from functioning correctly, and a couple of minor production related issues.
- Added new final tutorial explaining that once a new Queen is spawned players are free to pursue their own goals
- Updated 'The foundation of a successful hive' tutorial to not focus on Jelly rather than new Queens
- Updated 'First, build an Exit' tutorial to mention dots
- Updated 'Fill that storage' tutorial to better encourage players to be patient
- Updated 'Now, build a Nursery' tutorial image to show spawn progress ring
- Updated 'Time to build a Workshop' tutorial image to show research progress ring
- Updated 'seasonal' event effects to have longer duration
- Updated 'slime blessings' 'nectar rave fallout' and 'carpenter assistance' effects to have longer duration
- Updated 'Pilgrims return' event text
- Updated 'Comes with a figurative guarantee' event to require minimum free jelly storage
- Updated all events to have bee role names bolded
- Updated all events to use capitalised resource names
- Updated several positive events to use The Bees Knees music track
- Updated input handlers to explicitly drop gamepad input (fixes Switch joycon spamming ui_cancel event due to upstream #21918)
- Refactored queen effect handling in preparation for future changes
- Restored mouse wheel scrolling sensitivity from prior to Binder integration
- Removed some extraneous logging
- Fixed spamming Escape when selecting a main menu option causing the main menu to flip back in and clearing the destination tile
- Fixed (fingers crossed) assembler/refinery production animations sometimes playing when no bees are present
- Fixed cases where unfreed object warnings would be thrown on exit
- Fixed case where pending state could override storage full state in production screen
- Fixed bees working at upgraded production facilities not automatically depositing resources into adjacent upgraded storage cells
Get Hive Time
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.