The Spiciest Update
These builds include additional content, a whole stack of fixes (here's a partial list I made when getting ready for testing), and some new features that I've spent the past couple of weeks pulling together. Here are some of the more interesting changes:
- A new, voiced "readme"
- New FM synth ambient and action sound effects by InversePhase
- Ambient building fire sounds
- Improved keyboard controls
- Initial gamepad/joystick support (bindings below)
- Cutscene scroll pausing (Space)
- Improved audio timing
- Menu sounds
- A headphone recommendation splash screen
- Lots and lots of puzzle logic fixes
- Lots and lots of text fixes
- Save/load fixes
- Disabled states for main menu items that don't make sense to be enabled - I'm looking at you, "Save Game" and the way you used to allow people to save a game before starting one
At this point in time, I feel that Spicy Meatball is the best showcase of the Icicle engine in its current state.
In lieu of an in-game gamepad/joystick bindings screen, here's a quick rundown on controls. Note that this feature is super new and hasn't been tested across many devices. If you hit any hurdles or unexpected behaviour, let me know!
- X/Y camera rotation: Axis 0 and axis 1 (typically "left stick")
- Interact/confirm: Button 0 (typically "A")
- Inventory: Button 1 (typically "B")
- Cancel/Pause: Button 2 (typically "X")
I'd also like to take the time to draw attention to some of the people who helped playtest this update prior to release. Without their efforts, a metaphorical ton of virtual bugs would have gone unchecked. They are today's Cool People of the Highest Degree.
- Miriam "Mim" Roser
- Philipp "murks" Überbacher
- Caroline Choong
Get The Spicy Meatball Saves The Day
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.